Translator

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

High School Assembly

The assembly went really well. It started with the small disappointment that the vice principal went against what we decided and had specific teachers 'sign up' which probably caused confusion and only half the school came down for the assembly. Thats what happens when you aren't there 24/7. They change everything without permission. But aside from that, it was well attended. About 200 Students, over 10 or 15 teachers, and some other staff. I had Dave Hunter from Manchester support group and Nancy Bourrassa from Lyme411 and Lakes Region Support Group there to speak with me, and my new friend Kaity who also has Lyme and lives in the town over, was there. All the students were rowdy so I introduced myself and the assembly,  and told them all to keep quiet. Then Nancy took over talking about the Support Group events like the Timberman Triathlon that we participate in,soon passing it off to Dave. He talked really well about the whole scheme of Lyme. Everyone seemed fairly attentive. We ended with a bang, because I went to the mic. and explained my story. "I was called crazy, a hypochondriac, a liar, that I was mimicking my mother's headaches, by Doctors I trusted and friends I loved." I said. "This is a serious blind illness, and I may stand here today and look normal, but there is a war going on in my body and I will regret this assembly for a week."
Not a soul was moving or breathing, the place was silent, all eyes on me, all shocked gazes baring down on me. I did well, I made my point, I opened there eyes. They all started to move and leave after I said Thank You but many said "I never realized." One teacher asked for a copy of the Lyme Documentary Under Our Skin. Another suggested I privately present to more schools and the health classes more in depth. It was a home run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! like the post or have some questions, concerns, or input? Comment on it.